Generic Drug Name: Lime sulfur
Lime sulfur is one of the oldest known insecticides. It is used to kill parasites such as sarcoptic and psoroptic mange in canines, felines, and cattle. It is also commonly used to eliminate fungal infections.
Highly effective and safe for use on young animals, the side effects associated with lime sulfur are minimal, ranging from slightly stained fur to blistered skin.
Lime sulfur is the only insecticide that can be used on lactating or pregnant animals. The non-intrusive treatment is preferred for sensitive or high-risk animals, such as pregnant individuals.
Lime sulfur should not be used on animals with a known allergy or hypersensitivity to the drug. If overdose occurs, emergency veterinary care should be sought immediately.
Lime sulfur should be stored in a tightly sealed container away from light and humidity. It should be stored at room temperature.
Lime sulfur is usually administered as a dip. To treat various types of mange, a 2% lime-sulfur hot dip is typically applied three times. If needed, the animal can be dipped 4-6 times if the original regimen of dips does not completely eliminate the parasites. The animal should be separated from others and monitored.
Doses may vary in different species, when the drug is given by a different route or concurrently with other medications, and with regards to a patient's age, breed, and health status. A veterinarian's dosing instructions and/or those printed on the medication label should be followed closely.