Major Uses

Vitamin K is a fat-soluble vitamin that is primarily used to treat anticoagulant rodenticide toxicity. It is also useful in treating patients with liver problems that are unable to produce blood clotting proteins.

Common Precautions

Vitamin K should not be administered intravenously, as this has been known to cause severe allergic reactions. It is also known to react badly with some other drugs, specifically, aspirin, thyroid drugs, cimetidine, and various antibiotics. A veterinarian should be consulted before giving vitamin K if the patient is taking any of these medications.

One common negative side effect associated with the long use of vitamin K is red blood cell destruction. Other possible adverse reactions include pain, tenderness at injection site, swelling, hematomas, and allergic sensitivity.

Vitamin K should not be used in animals with a known allergy or hypersensitivity to the drug. A veterinarian should be contacted immediately if any adverse side effects appear or an overdose is suspected.


Vitamin K should be kept at room temperature and stored in a tightly sealed, childproof container. It should be carefully kept away from light, and kept in a place where it cannot be reached by children or pets.


When using vitamin K to treat anticoagulant rodenticide toxicity, a normal dose ranges from 2-6 mg/kg a day. This dose is typically split into two or three doses over the course of the day. Administration should continue until the rodenticide is gone, which may take up to 6 weeks. Should a dose be forgotten, it should be administered as soon as possible. If it is almost time for the next dose, the missed dose should be skipped and the regular dosing schedule should resume. Two doses should not be administered at the same time, as an overdose may occur.

Doses may vary in different species, when the drug is given by a different route or concurrently with other medications, and with regards to a patient's age, breed, and health status. A veterinarian's dosing instructions and/or those printed on the medication label should be followed closely.

This information is for general reference only and should not be used for the diagnosis or treatment of any condition of your pet. It's intended as a general reference, this information may not include all possible uses, precautions, directions, reactions (including allergic), drug interactions, or withdrawal times. Always consult your local veterinarian and have your pet examined for any advice concerning the diagnosis and treatment of your pet, including which products and doses are most appropriate. Any trademarks are the property of their respective owners. VetDepot is not a pharmacy. All prescription products are dispensed by our Pharmacy Partner. Article last updated 2/2014.